Kenneth Madden

Laura

Do not stand at my grave and weep
Mary Frye

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

6 Comments

Mike said:

Kenneth,

So very sorry for your loss. This was a beautiful post. Laura would be proud. Magnificent.

I have struggled with death and what that really means ever since the passing of my brother. Death is a shock to the mind-body. It’s put face-to-face with the thing that will eventually render it completely obsolete. To have the perspective you have is wonderful.

Anyway, this was a very good post and what an honorable tribute to your friend. You make me miss her, too.

Mike

5:15 pm January 28, 2010 | Link
Kenneth said:

Thanks Mike
I keep editing it, but I’ll stop now- I can’t say what I’m trying to say- or it can’t be said I should say. Thanks again Mike- keep in touch.

11:25 pm January 28, 2010 | Link
Mike said:

I understand all the editing. It can’t all be said, you’re right. Then all the questions come up. Did I spend enough time with her? Was I a good enough friend? Was I there for her? What else could I have done? All my words for my brother, btw. Hopefully that doesn’t haunt you too.

Thanks again for posting this, Kenneth. Beautiful.

2:03 pm February 1, 2010 | Link
Kenneth said:

Hi Mike
No nothing like that. From this perspective things can’t be any other way. Things are as they are and only in the mind can they be any other way. The message or description of an alternative way to see things that I write about in this blog addresses all those questions not by answering them but by revealing that they are from a false premise. The root of all of these questions comes from a sense of feeling of being a separate self, the false centre of “me”. It can be seen that things are whole and complete as they are.

8:37 pm February 1, 2010 | Link
frank said:

kenneth – wonderfully written words on loss. they are perfect words as they are. no need to change them..and as you might say..if they are changed they will be perfect also..
Take care.

1:43 pm February 3, 2010 | Link

I enjoyed your UGC interview which led me to this post which I also very much enjoy. Beautifully written for a subject that is more or less impossible for words. But then again, our brains are impossible for these subjects, so I suppose the impossible words will suffice for impossible brains, if that makes any sense at all?

10:30 pm March 11, 2010 | Link

What do you think?

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *